Thursday, November 16, 2006

How not to fall asleep

I’ve discovered a really good way to keep yourself awake.  Granted the conditions for this to happen are a bit rare, but just follow this simple recipe:

 

  1. Buy a set of front row tickets to a concert for a band that you really like (Barenaked Ladies) about 2 or more months in advance.
  2. Mix in a 3 year old and a newborn
  3. Sprinkle in a handful of important events like birthdays and anniversaries
  4. Forget to check the tracking number of the tickets once the tickets ship
  5. Let simmer until you are just about to fall asleep the night before the concert
  6. Ask your wife if she’s going to bring the tickets tomorrow only to eventually discover that the tickets were never delivered by UPS.

 

If you can duplicate the above, it’s a surefire way to keep yourself awake for a few extra hours the night before.  So here’s where we stand so far.  www.musictoday.com handles the tickets for the BNL fan club.  Yes, I’m part of the fan club, get over it.  They were open until midnight last night so I was able to talk to an agent around the time I was really starting to panic.  Thankfully, the agent while couldn’t help me at the time was calm and polite and simply told me that they should be able to get the tickets to will-call, but I needed to call back in the morning.  So meanwhile I’m really getting stressed out since my wife and I have been really looking forward to this for a long time. So around midnight I managed to get to sleep.  My wife on the other hand…. Let’s just say that our 4 month old was not kind in his sleeping habits last night.

 

This morning my stress levels continue to climb because the tickets are not only for me and my wife, but for my sister and her husband as well.  Before I continue, let me just say that there are two kinds of customer service, good and bad, there really isn’t anything in between.  They’re either willing to help you or they’re not.  My first step this morning was to call UPS.  I wasn’t really hopeful since apparently my 2-day air package was out for delivery since October 31st .  I was simply told that there was nothing they could do to investigate and that I needed to call the shipper to start an inquiry.  I’d like to take this opportunity to say thanks for nothing.

 

Next stop on my quest for the magic tickets (sorry, played killer bunnies and the quest for the magic carrot last night) was to call music today again.  I have to say another win for music today’s customer service.  Within minutes I was talking to someone that was able to put in a request to the venue for will-call.  She told me that I should receive an email from them when the tickets are confirmed with the venue.  Thankfully I have enough work to do that the morning went by quickly.  Since at this point I’ve imagined all sorts of fun outcomes of this fiasco I’m anxious to say the least to get word from them.

 

Around lunchtime I called the venue.  I knew it was a bad idea, but I did it anyhow.  The operator was obviously annoyed with an abundance of calls and simply told me that they couldn’t tell me anything.  At least they could have been a little more polite.  Oh well, no biggie. 

 

Finally around 2 I couldn’t take it any longer and called music today again.  If anyone from there ever reads this (doubtful, but possible) I apologize for being a pest.  I’m sure I wasn’t the worst, but it’s hard to be patient in these situations.  Again, the operator was very polite and was able to tell me that the tickets were confirmed with the venue. 

 

So that’s pretty much where I am right now.  I’ll have to post an update later about what happens from here on out.  I’m dreading the fact that the original tickets are out there somewhere and may not be gone for good.  To say the least it would be unfortunate if someone else shows up with the original set. 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home