Wednesday, April 18, 2007

auto service word of caution

So my car is just turning over 60,000 miles and I need to get the appropriate service done as well as service the brake pads.  In my experience the OEM brake pads seem to make a difference so I decided to call a few places to get some pricing.  I called two local auto parts stores and they could not supply me with OEM pads so I decided to call a handful of the local dealers.  The first dealer told me that the pads would be a bit over $100 for the fronts and a couple bucks more for the rear.  The second dealer told me that they would be ~$95 for both and the third told me they would be $90 for the front and slightly cheaper for the rear.  While I was shopping for  pads I thought I’d check on the 60k service.  One dealer told me $1000, another told me $900, and one even told me $650, but depending on the plugs in my car it might be more…probably more… definitely more… around $700 or in the ballpark. 

 

I’d like some explanation of this price difference.  I can somewhat understand the difference for the 60k maintenance.  Maybe one shop does a few extra steps to make sure your car continues to run smoothly.  To be honest I’d consider taking it to the one that said around $700 if it wasn’t for the fact that the service guy didn’t even sound like he knew what my car was (hint: It’s not run of the mill sedan).  The thing that really makes me wonder how much I’m getting screwed when I go to the dealer is the price difference on the parts.  A difference of $40+ between different dealers is not exactly pocket change.  Is there really a good reason for the $40 difference.  Am I getting $40 more brake pads at one location or am I getting screwed by an additional $40?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dealers have no relationship to each other for the services they charge. For major repairs there is a book that tells them how many hours a job should take and they quote based on that but for things such as 60000 mile service they can charge anything they think the market will bear. Most people don't check around. I've also found that most dealers will price match to keep your business.
tqqlmn

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home