Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Goodbye Dear Friend

On April 19, 2004 our pup Katie came to live with us. At the time I don't think we knew what a gift Katie would be. I doubt there are many dogs that can live up to the standard that she has set for future furry residents. Like most Sheltie's she was reserved, but when she got to know you she was the one of the sweetest pups. She was never shy on kisses for people she knew (whether they wanted them or not) and always wanted to be around family and friends. She was always ready to do anything or go anywhere as long as it was with us and she was really tolerant of the kids.

The one thing Katie loved to do more than anything else was to chase a tennis ball. When we were at my parents the mere mention of playing ball would cause her to run the Sheltie circle. My parent's have a large back yard and her paws would propel her like a rocket to the back of the yard waiting for me to thow. We could always tell when she was tired (but still wanted more) when her tongue would hang out the side of her mouth.

There were many other things that she loved to do. Riding in the car was a big one, although to this day we're not entirely sure why. She'd get all excited, hop in the car, and then lay down. She loved to take walks, and I can remember plenty of times when it was too cold or rainy outside in the morning where I would get the "So, we're going for a walk right? right? right? right?" and then the look of "awwww" when we didn't. Nothing like sad puppy eyes to make you wish you could change the weather.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Late last year she had some problems eating. With a few visits to the vet and some medication we thought her problems were over. Sadly, early this year her problems returned and after many vet visits, an ultrasound, and lastly surgery, we got one of the worst diagnosis we could. It was Lymphoma and there was no way to remove it. While we decided to try chemotherapy, our hopes were tempered by the fact that at best her chances or remission were 50%. It's been a heart breaking summer with plenty of ups and mostly downs.

While her therapy seemed to be helping at first, by some time in July it was apparent that she was not going to be with us much longer. This last week has been the hardest for all of us. There's very few things as horrible as watching someone you love waste away with almost nothing you can do. By the end she wasn't eating, barely drinking, and it was apparent she was absolutely miserable. So this Saturday I did what had to be done. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I took a friend, companion, and in some ways my child to the vet to relieve her suffering. Katie left our house, but not our hearts the morning of August 23rd.

There are two moments in my life I doubt I will ever forget. The first is when I met Katie in the back yard of her foster home. The other is the last moments I got to spend with her before she left us.

I would like to thank all our friends and family for their thoughts, prayers, and support. Without them this would have been all that much harder. I would like to also thank all the Veterinarians that tried so hard to save Katie, especially Dr. Candice.

Rest in Peace Katie Paeth
September 1, 2000 - August 23,2009
"And if these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world to take my picture."
















NOTE: The quote is from the movie One Hour Photo, but I didn't feel right about listing the source of the quote considering the movie content and the content of this post.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. A family pet is a key component to the makeup of the family -- and they are cherished. God bless you guys!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This blog reminds us to cherish all that we have while we still have it...pets, children, spouses...and other loved ones. Though Katie is gone, she was NEVER forgotten in the time you had her. Her pictures, stories, and memories will last forever.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home